If you follow me on Twitter, you will know that yesterday, March 22, 2011, I had a very passionate debate with members of African technology community on positive or negative consequences generated by the project of Google’s business incubator named "UMBONO" on African startups.
It began when I read this blog article 2.0 Africa: Umbono, the incubator of Google.
What prompted me to launch this tweet: I am very scared Startups Cameroonian risk getting crushed by the project Umbono Why see here? http://bit.ly/f6Vooi we must act.
Unfortunately many have not been able to discern the impact the Umbono program on their current and future projects. This is why i write this post to better illustrate it.
Reminder: an incubator is a support structure that provides financial, intellectual, material etc. to a project that is mostly initiated by a young entrepreneur. Read this article from wikipedia.
The consequences of Umbono program on African startups
The Umbono program will undoubtedly have positive or negative consequences on African startups.
The positive consequences of the Umbono program
The startup African Umbono will receive the following benefits:
- Money. It will be between 25000 and 50000 dollars to start with a high probability of receiving more funding for development of its products and services worldwide if consumers appreciate the offer.
- The expertise and professional networks from Google, investors and other project Umbono members. What constitutes a great advantage for me.
- The reputation and brand image of Google that will be of a great help in marketing its products and services to market. Especially in the B2B market
- A giant of the internet will do everything to produce giants. Needless to remind you that Google is No. 1 in the world of the Internet and has a reputation to defend. Therefore Google and its partners will do everything to make a project supported an African leader at least, see the world if possible.
Sadly we all know that "the happiness of some can cause misery for others" Tweet this message.
The negative consequences of the Umbono program
To better illustrate these consequences. Consider EASY SCHOOL project initiated by La Pointe Technologie that will not benefit from the support of Umbono and draft someone named BIG SCHOOL example who benefits and who both provide the same services.
Reminder: EASY SCHOOL is an educational solution that aims to address difficulties faced by the major education stakeholders (students, teachers, parents and schools). Following EASY SCHOOL is composed of three services.
- Manager is a system of management and administration of schools hosted in cloud
- Library is a service that allows teachers to sell their courses online and students to download free trials and exercises.
- Performance is a tool for monitoring school performance as a student throughout his school career.
- Most investors do not invest in two similar projects. They focus on one and do everything to make him a world leader in most cases, particularly U.S. investors.
- While I am currently busy looking for investors for EASY SCHOOL, solve business problems, managerial, etc.. BIG SCHOOL team will not have to worry about that. Google and its partners will do that and she can focus all his energies to build and improve its services.
- To easily sell B2B, you must have a reputation and brand image. BIG SCHOOL has this through Google.
- Many investors are afraid to invest in a technology project which can be direct or indirect competition with Google. To show you how Google's scary. Take the example of Kelkoo in 2003 before being acquired by Yahoo for 475 million euros. Put off the moments of anguish and fears experienced by their leaders, they had to improve their services to survive. You can read it on page 166 of the book " ils ont réussi leur startup ! " A free download here.
- The project is limited to Umbono program leaders residing in South Africa
Thank you for listening and please do not hesitate to give your opinion.
La version française originale de ce poste